• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused Entry to the US (Long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Moretakitty

I would like to relay an incident that happened to me last week. This was written by my friend, a US Citizen who was helping me with the move and was present the entire time. I have changed names and such, as there is an active investigation going on which includes the officers involved and the State Senator's office.

Our first problem was at the customs checkpoint, where a very rude officer told us we were in the truck line, we replied we were looking for immigrations to apply for a TN-1 for Miss **** and didn’t know where to go. Giving us a disgusted look, he asked for our ID’s, exited his booth, had a brief conversation with another officer then came back. Gave us a yellow customs slip that said “Requesting tn-1 visa” and told us where to go to the Customs office
for some reason we couldn’t fathom.
I politely requested our ID’s back, he replied in a snide manner, “Nope” That was the end of our conversation.
Proceeding onto the truck parking area, we exited the vehicle with no ID and proceeded to the customs office, waiting approx 20 mins to see an officer. The rain was still pouring, and Miss ****, who had dressed professionally to present a good appearance was soaked by the time we
got to the office.
The officer asked us what we were doing, we explained our ID’s had been taken at the booth and had to wait a few more minutes while the rude officer came in, returned them to us. We explained about the TN-1 visa, and asked where to go, and was directed to a building approximately ¼ to ½ mile away, at which point he took our truck keys and we had to walk. The rain was coming down even harder now, and by the time we found the building, we were soaked, both of us quite a mess.
When we entered the office, an officer was leaning on the counter, slowly flipping through what appeared to be a date book of some kind, ignoring our presence for a few minutes till Miss **** asked if we could apply for a tn-1 visa.
At which time this officer did NOT look up or even stop looking through the book, just pointed, and said, “Have a seat.”
We proceeded to sit, and make sure we had everything we needed as per talking to the officers at Niagara Peace Bridge, whom we had called 6 or 7 times before proceeding on the trip.
After sitting for a few minutes, an officer named ****** approached us, asking what we wanted in a rude tone. When we answered in regular voices he leaned in toward us, throwing an ear in our direction and saying loudly “HUH?”
At which point we had to repeat ourselves. This happened twice and was quite
embarrassing.
At that point, we explained we were here for a tn-1 visa, he snatched the yellow sheet out of my hand and asked VERY rudely, “Why are you here so late?” We explained it was the earliest we could arrive. At that point he turned around with a very obvious expression of distaste and or
disgust as thought we were imposing greatly on him to apply for a visa.
We were polite and respectful the entire time we were being treated as something other than human.
He called Miss **** to the desk, she reminded me we needed the 56 US dollars to pay for the visa. I said I would get it, and ran, in heavy rain, back to the customs building to ask for the truck keys back to get the money. The officer gave them back I returned to our truck, retrieved the
money and proceeded back to the immigrations building. I was thoroughly soaked, all my clothes were sopping wet, and I was VERY cold while I waited for Miss **** to fill out the form. I was helping her and pointing out the things on her references that might help and generally being a friend.
After she filled out the form she was asked questions by Mr. ******, in a rude, patronizing tone as if to say we weren’t worth the effort or his time cause it was late. After she had finished the
paperwork, he retrieved it and went into an office while we sat down to wait. During this time, of which later Mr. ****** said he had closely reviewed her paperwork, I saw him walking back and forth many times, even once putting on his coat as if to go outside for a break, this happened a lot during the wait period.
When he came back and called us up again, once again, definitely a rude and
condescending tone of voice was used the whole time, slapped a book down in front of us and told us to read it and let us know when we had, and walked away. I do not remember the exact words of the paragraph on the page, but we told him we had read it, he asked if we understood it, I replied no, only about half of it maybe.
He told us that he was denying Miss ****’s application, because he KNEW that
Management Consultants didn’t make 40k a year, they made a lot more, professing obviously a skill in the field. Also, that we had to prove that the company couldn’t hire an American to do the job instead of a Canadian, and that they had “Made the job” just for her. Of course when you hire
someone you MAKE a job for him or her. Miss **** also explained that the department was new, every job in the department was new.
Also he told us he thought that she was just supernumerary, which of course the lawyer told us that was normal for Management Consultants, they are extra folks hired to help.
The entire explanation from him sounded rude, spotty, uninformative and very
condescending, as if we were children who didn’t know any better than he did.
He also told me, that if we tried to cross another port and apply for the tn-1 “He would KNOW” that we did. We assured him we would not, he also gave us a list of things we needed if she wanted to visit in the US.
At that point in the conversation, he told us how I would be charged for fraud if we did, and Miss **** would be barred from entering for five years, we had already told him we wouldn’t try that and he said he had to tell us, fair enough. But, said threat was made again a few minutes later
as if we hadn’t heard it before, and make no mistake, this man was basically telling us he would keep tabs on us and know if we would do anything at the borders if we tried to go through. That is intolerable.
We told him we wished to withdraw the application fully, at that time, so we wouldn’t have any refusal on her record as the lawyer had advised us to do. That way she would still have a clean record.
This was not done, he also kept the letter prepared by the lawyer for the company that hired her for Miss **** to have proof of a job offer and would not give it back.
He also kept reminding us in the same rude tone of voice that he would KNOW if we tried anything at any other border crossing. And also told us he didn’t recommend us seeing an immigration judge for a review of the facts. No reason given as to why, but it seemed to me, as if he didn’t wish anyone to know what he was doing and how he was doing it.
We thanked him, and asked for our ID’s back to travel back to Canada, he said he would meet us outside and only give them back when we were on the road to Canada as if we were common criminals who run borders.
On the way back to the truck, I tried to thank the man, being polite and shake his hand and was offered one finger to shake, as if I wasn’t worth the effort to clear his hand and shake it. He also said that he “Wasn’t supposed to recommend it, but maybe if we got married she could come
across to be at her job.” I chuckled, took it in stride and jokingly asked Miss **** if she would, she shrugged and frown being upset by the way we had been treated and subsequently thrown out of the station as if we were criminals.
After leaving the port of entry, and even before, Miss **** was very humiliated at being treated that way, basically told she wasn’t worth entering the US because this person thought he knew more about her job skills and job qualifications that she or a lawyer did.
We rode back to Windsor, Ontario and reserved a room at 84$ CND per night as we didn’t know how long we would be staying. We ended up staying 3 days as we talked with the lawyer about what we could do, we were not going to br

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">