• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racing but not racing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington.

Can anyone make sense of this law for me? RCW 46.61.530 states...

"No person may race any motor vehicle upon any public highway of this state. Any persons who wilfully compare relative speeds by operation of motor vehicles shall be guilty of racing, which shall constitute reckless driving under RCW 46.61.500, whether or not such speed is in excess of the maximum speed prescribed by law: PROVIDED HOWEVER, That any comparison of the accuracy with which motor vehicles may be operated in terms of relative speeds not in excess of the posted maximum speed does not constitute racing."

To me, it looks like it says that if you willfully compare relative speeds, then you are guilty of racing, regardless of whether or not you were speeding above the posted limit, but however, if you do compare relative speeds and those speeds are under the posted limit, then you are not guilty of racing.

Just sounds like it contradicts itself. Or am I reading it wrong?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">