• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Benefits While In Jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rescuer

What is the name of your state?FL

My boyfriend's mother has custody of his daughter since his wife's death, 9 years ago. He was incarcerated for nine months and his mother continued to collect the benefits from his deceased wife, to care for his daughter. She did not tell SS he was in jail (I guess you are not entitled to benefits while incarcerated). Now SS says there was an overpayment of $4,900.00 and they are requesting he pay it. Who's liable for the amount?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Rescuer said:
What is the name of your state?FL

My boyfriend's mother has custody of his daughter since his wife's death, 9 years ago. He was incarcerated for nine months and his mother continued to collect the benefits from his deceased wife, to care for his daughter. She did not tell SS he was in jail (I guess you are not entitled to benefits while incarcerated). Now SS says there was an overpayment of $4,900.00 and they are requesting he pay it. Who's liable for the amount?

My response:

He is!

Children don't survive on air! They need food, clothing, shelter, etc.

I can't even believe you're asking this incredibly stupid question.

IAAL

Rescuer

Ok, I and he figured he should pay it, but was told by someone that since she lied to SS about him being in jail she may be responsible for some of the amount. Of course, he wants his daughter to be cared for, but can only pay back SS if he can make payments.

Looking at some of your recent replies, I think you should change your name to "I AM ALWAYS RUDE." People come to this forum for help, not insults. I hope if your profession is to give legal advice, then you learn how to be PROFESSIONAL.

BL

Rescuer said:
Ok, I and he figured he should pay it, but was told by someone that since she lied to SS about him being in jail she may be responsible for some of the amount. Of course, he wants his daughter to be cared for, but can only pay back SS if he can make payments.

Looking at some of your recent replies, I think you should change your name to "I AM ALWAYS RUDE." People come to this forum for help, not insults. I hope if your profession is to give legal advice, then you learn how to be PROFESSIONAL.
So you think it's not HIS DUTY/ Responsibility to notify SSA of any changes in circumstances ? WRONG !!

When he started collecting benefits he was provided information about notifications of changes to SSA . Weather he read or could read the instruction doesn't matter one bit.

He and ONLY he is responsible . He should be grateful the kid was being cared for by mom , and not in foster care .

Rude ? He told it like it is .. don't like it ? tough ..

BlondiePB

stephenk said:
I like the part that she still considers the guy her boyfriend.
This OP has a lot going on. When she refers to the boyfriend and child issues, she posts FL as her state. When she refers to her credit problems, bankruptcy, and elder issues, she posts WA as her state.

This OP has deleted quite a few of her threads including two that I replied to in the Elder Law section. Here in this thread, the OP states that her boyfriend's child's mother died. In another deleted post, the OP refers to the child's father being denied visitation by the mother, who is dead, and that this dead mother is bi-polar. This is pretty good stuff, even if it is the OP's boyfriend's mother that could have been referred to. Another deleted thread referred to some man in FL being charged with grand theft of an elder.

Two deleted threads in Elder Law had to do with the OP helping her mother with Medicaid, including things that would be fraud. Another thread, the OP asks about receiving a gift of money after the bankruptcy discharge (mom's money?). The threads disappeared after I asked the OP if someone else is able to handle things for her mother due to her "colorful" background with criminals and bankruptcy. :rolleyes:

BlondiePB

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Watch this thread go bye-bye too.

I won't be responding to "Rescuer" any longer, and she undoubtedly won't mind that!

IAAL
I would be very surprised to see this thread still here tomorrow morning. Deleting it will free up some more bandwidth.

Funny thing though, all I did was refer to her "colorful" background and POOF.....things started to disappear. What a coincidence!

Guess she minded that I noticed. :rolleyes:

ken1001

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

He is!

Children don't survive on air! They need food, clothing, shelter, etc.

I can't even believe you're asking this incredibly stupid question.

IAAL
children can collect if spouse in jail spouse not allowed but ss is so messed up you can cheat them up to 30,000 dollars before they go after you and prosecute

BL

but ss is so messed up you can cheat them up to 30,000 dollars before they go after you and prosecute
You must be some kind of con !! because in my area there is checks and balances, and they Know pretty DQ when someone's cheating them. And then , they recoup ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">