• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADA or California Law Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwh

What is the name of your state?California

Question about Handicapped parking. When I travel in California with handicapped license plates I am not usually charged for parking except at 1 Marriott Hotel. This hotel does not provide any free handicapped parking. They have a parking lot with handicapped spaces and charge $17 per day.

Are they allowed to charge for handicapped parking?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't speak to California law and my knowledge of the ADA is primarily with regards to employment. However, the ADA was not designed to give the disabled special privileges, but to even the playing field. If they charge for non-handicapped parking, I'm not aware of anything in the ADA that says they can't charge for handicapped parking too.

kwh

Thanks for the response

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering if it was something about California because a nearby Hyatt and Sheraton don't charge in their paid parking facility.

rmet4nzkx

If you have a parking placard, public parking is free and many private lots also discount handicap parking and it varies, and up to the individual establishment. Airports and other parking lots charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">