• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L1 workers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ansari

Hi,

I am a temporary worker on a L1 visa. I am working here in USA on behalf of an Indian company.

My wife delivered a baby via C-section last December. Since the baby has some problems immediately after birth, it had to be placed in ICU for 3 days. My Indian company fixed an insurance for me in the USA which covers pregnancy related treatments only upto $10000. However, in my case the medical bills have far exceeded that limit. As a result another $10,000 are due to the hospital and the insurance company will not pay that. I simply don't have that kind of money. Besides, I would be returning to India in a months time.

In such a situation who is responsible for the payment of the hospital dues? Considering that I was sent here by my company, shouldn't it foot that additional bill since the insurance cover was highly inadequate? What are my rights and obligations in this matter? I don't want to ruin my credit history here. Please help.

S

SJLin

This seems more like a contract problem rather than an immigration one. You probably need to check the agreements you have with your employer and/or insurance company with respect to what is covered.

------------------
This transmission should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship between you and me. You are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon this transmission without consulting professional legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">