• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

safest form of payment for online purchase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BGAZ

What is the name of your state? I live in Arizona, I am purchasing from a man in California

Hello, I am purchasing a bicycle frame for $200 from a gentleman in San Francisco, California. It was an ebay auction that I missed, item didn't sell, and I emailed him and made him an offer which he accepted. I am planning on sending him a $200 cashier's check or money order via registered mail or Fedex signature-required. He provided his first & last name and a home address and telephone number. When he receives the money, he will send the item. Sounds good, but I obviously have to trust that he will send the item. What is the safest way to proceed with a transaction like this? By the way, his ebay reputation consists of 115 positive feedbacks (100% positive), so this is a good sign. I never do business without at least some feedback. Thank you all for your assistance.

ndnicks

DONT DO IT. Have him make a second chance auction then 'buy it now' option, which should cost him no fee at all if its within the time limit. That way you can do it through ebay properly. It states in tehir rules not to fall for this kind of thing and never contact a seller about an item that didn't sell, and not do it through the proper channels. It's a very easy way to get ripped off and people have been taking advantage of it.

cmorris

"Buy it now" costs money (very little--under a quarter, I believe). But, it would be best for the seller to relist the item.

Credit (not debit) cards are the safest form of payment (through a service, like PayPal). If you were to get ripped off, you could do a charge-back.

BGAZ

Thanks for the advice. I have very little faith in ebay or paypal as far as their enforcement and effectiveness is concerned. Still, I'll ask him to relist it with buy it now option and I'll pay through paypal. I'll offer to pay his ebay & paypal fees so that he has no reason not to agree.

An escrow service would probably be best, but it seems a little silly for $200. Or at least silly until I lose the $200!

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">