• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickbu52

What is the name of your state? New York

Purchased a condo in November in affluent Westchester community. 10 days later there was a heavy rainstorm. Apparently, roof drains were plugged, causing water to accumulate on roof. Significant amounts of water found its way into my condo, damaging bedding, carpeting, sheetrock, and other items, and warped a large section of pergo floor. Condo board blames management company. Mgmt company says they will repair sheetrock and provide one coat of paint only. My insurance company says 'water damage caused by backup of drains is excluded' from coverage, as well as any damage caused by faulty maintenance.

So that means I have to foot the bill for saturated mattress/spring set (5 days old), carpeting, and pergo floor replacement?

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't have access to roof to inspect nor clean drains, but I'm the victim if management company is negligent?

I am concerned about damage behind sheetrock (mold and/or damaged insulation), but don't want to rip out walls and ceilings to find out.

What should I do? Pursuit through legal means may prove too expensive.

Thanks.

claimlaw

Retain counsel of competent Public Adjustment firm. In most cases a lawyer will no bring value to the table in a first party property claim.

Look up the definitions of drains. In general they apply to a "plumbing" system.

Yes, you should be concerned about water in the walls.

I cannot provide any further recommendations in absence of viewing the loss site and circumstances.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">