• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st Speeding Ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scarygirl

What is the name of your state? NC

This is my first ticket, ever! I was caught speeding 82 in a 65mph on 1/40. It was Christmas Eve. To make matters worse, my speedometer wasn't working. Hasn't worked in a while. I've been meaning to have it fixed, but I kept putting it off until now. I didn't mention to the officer that it wasn't working. I'm not sure if that was good or bad. I was afraid that he would give me another ticket, so I said nothing. The officer was very nice, and said that since I have a good attitude, and a clean record otherwise, that I can probably get it reduced. Still I'm scared. I'm getting a lawyer. I just wonder if the broken speedometer will make me look worse. I have an apointment to see a mechanic next week.

What's going to happen to me? I'm a good person otherwise. I just made a bad mistake due to my own procastination. The DMV says they can suspend my license for 30 days. I'm more afraid of my insurance company. I've heard that if you can get it reduced to 10 or 9 miles over that it won't affect your insurance. What are my chances of getting the ticket dropped due to this being my first ticket? If I take PFJ, I'll get the ticket back on me if something else should happen.

Besides getting a lawyer, what should I do?

S

seniorjudge

"I didn't mention to the officer that it wasn't working. I'm not sure if that was good or bad."

That was a very GOOD thing you did; believe me, being accused of speeding and then adding, "Oh, by the way, my speedometer was broken," is not a good thing to say to a judge. (Besides that, the officer could have given you a ticket for driving with defective equipment if you had told him.)

When you get to court, ask the clerks there who you are supposed to talk to about a diversion program. You may be able to get points off or a reduced sentence or all kinds of alternatives.

Dress professionally. Don't smoke or chew gum. Be neat and clean and courteous and soft-spoken.

It's amazing how far kindness will get you!

scarygirl

Thanks!

Thanks for not treating me like a complete idiot. I already feel like one as it is. I know what I did was wrong. I just hope I wind up with a good lawyer. Trust me, I'll never let my car go again. Ever!

S

seniorjudge

"Thanks for not treating me like a complete idiot."

Some people must think this is the Mensa forum and are miffed when someone who has run afoul of the law exposes their weaknesses.

I try not to be that way...sometimes I fail, sometimes I don't.

Any speeding conviction more than 15 over the limit or greater than 80 is a fairly serious class 2 misdemeanor in NC. You will have a mandatory court appearance and risk a 30 day suspension and a 50-100% increase in your insurance.

Don't panic, for someone with a clean record, it should be no problem getting it reduced to a 9 over. You may be able to plea it down yourself following SeniorJudge's kind advise.

I'm fairly new to NC and don't know the history, but these relatively serious charges for as little as 10 over in NC seem to be a bit of a racket. You will be receiving many offers for legal services in the mail next week explaining what is at risk and how they can help you. I'm not sure how much chance an individual has in court.

An attorney can advise when a plea to a reduced speed or violation, a prayer for judgment continued (PJC), or other options that may be available and in a person's best interest. If you have no previous violations, they can probably go to court for you and plea it down to save you insurance money in the long run.

There are two points systems in NC, one for your driving licence and one for your insurance. Read the links below for how it works.

NC Safe Driver Incentive Plan
http://www.ncdoi.com/consumer/Publications/Automobile/Safe Driver Incentive Plan.pdf

NC Traffics and insurance Points
http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

Someone I know with went through this 6 mo ago and the attorney was able to get an 80 in a 55 reduced to a 64 in a 55, $50 fine, $100 court costs and $500 for the attorney. Saved her about $600 a year in insurance increases.

You dont want any speeding tickets on top of this, anything greater than 55+ risks a suspension.

Also be careful out of state. The NC DMV can suspend the driver's license of any North Carolina operator if they are convicted of an offense in another state, which if committed in North Carolina would be grounds for suspension or revocation of their license. These may not show up for several years. Someone here recently had their licence suspended wihen an 18 mo old out of state ticket for 15 over came back to NC.

scarygirl

Again, thanks for your help.

Trust me I know how serious this is. But after reading all this info (the links), it seems that I am not completely without hope. Wish me luck guys!

tipdrill

Here is another tip that might help you. Go to your dealer and get the speedo fixed and make sure everything is documented. I would go to a dealer that does service on your make and model. This worked for me a few years ago and my speeding ticket was dismissed.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">