• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

self representation 4 knee injury?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigslink

What is the name of your state?NYC, NY
On Oct 31, 2004, i slipped and fell into a sewer drain that was missing its protective guard. While falling i injured my knee. I was told that i had a partial tear in my miscous and no damage to my ligaments. The doctor who saw me wanted me to go thru therapy in hopes of strenghtening the muscles around the damaged area. Its been over a year and my condition isnt any better, there a feel that my bones are rubbing when i walk for a few blocks and my knee periodically gives way when i walk. All the attorneys i talked to wasnt interested in my case see that i dont have any completely rip/torn ligament. My time to bring a case against the city of new york is running out. If i were to represent myself what would be my chances in small claims/civil court to be compensated for medical bills related to knee injury. My main concern is that i won't be covered under my health insurer in about 2 months.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

HomeGuru

bigslink said:
What is the name of your state?NYC, NY
On Oct 31, 2004, i slipped and fell into a sewer drain that was missing its protective guard. While falling i injured my knee. I was told that i had a partial tear in my miscous and no damage to my ligaments. The doctor who saw me wanted me to go thru therapy in hopes of strenghtening the muscles around the damaged area. Its been over a year and my condition isnt any better, there a feel that my bones are rubbing when i walk for a few blocks and my knee periodically gives way when i walk. All the attorneys i talked to wasnt interested in my case see that i dont have any completely rip/torn ligament. My time to bring a case against the city of new york is running out. If i were to represent myself what would be my chances in small claims/civil court to be compensated for medical bills related to knee injury. My main concern is that i won't be covered under my health insurer in about 2 months.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
**A: you are giving us a knee jerk reaction. Talk to 10 more attorney's.

You Are Guilty

Assuming the sewer was under (at least) City control, file the Notice of Claim yourself which will give you more time to decide. A decent guide to the requirements can be found here. (If you want to read the statute itself, its GML s.50-e).

In the meantime, remember two things - small claims is limited to $5k in total damages, so if your bills are higher, you will forfeit anything over that limit, and that oftentimes, sewers and the related parts are "owned" by the City but are maintained by a utility company (i.e. ConEd) so you had better find out who was responsible for "yours" before you file your own suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">