• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost in traffic court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andek

What is the name of your state? Andrea, Washington

Hello,
I lost my case in traffic court on Monday morning, Dec. 27. I now have to pay $557 reduced from $608. I recieved the ticket for going 55 in a 25 construction zone and having no proof of registration. I figured that the registration would be thrown out because in WA you have thirty days to register the car and i had just gotten the car and was in the process of buying it. As for the speeding, the road is directly in front of my house and there is no sign whatsoever unless you are coming from the major road that is before my house, so I would have no chance of seeing it. It gets very foggy on this two lane road at night so i saw no signs of construction. The speed is usually 50. The officer wasn't even there to prove anything different, but his notes say that was caught by a tested radar.
My question is: Is there any way to appeal for a case such as this in the state of WA? And if so, how does it work and is it worth it? One more...I am leaving to SC around Jan. 19, is it possible to do something in this time frame? :) Thanks

racer72

I figured that the registration would be thrown out because in WA you have thirty days to register the car
And just where did you hear this? You have 5 days to transfer the title and register a car upon purchase. And if the car does not have a valid registration, it is illegal to drive the car, even in the 5 day window. Nothing else in your post suggests the citation was not valid nor warranted. If you wish to appeal the citation, you must now go to your county appeals court. You will require the services of an attorney, superior court is no place for an amateur.

And where is Andrea, Washington? I have lived in Washington my whole life and have never heard of the place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">