• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer not in his jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjr77va

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was in the city and approaching the city/county line. The county cop was sitting just inside the city limits and facing toward the city side of the road. That was where I was coming from. Right after I passed him, he turned and followed me down this narrow road into the county a ways before putting his lights on. He wrote the ticket as being in the county. Not only was he on the city side, but he had to have clocked me while I was in the city in the city. So does anyone know if I have a shot using this as a defense?

racer72

Someone watched too much Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. Nothing in your post suggests the officer did anything wrong, especially if the infraction location is within the officer's jurisdiction. Most police agencies have agreements that allow police activity across jurisdictions.

Bravo8

If the officer is employed by a county police department, he has county-wide authority. Just because the city has a police department of it's own doesn't remove the county police officer's authority. In these situations, often times the county police or Sheriff's office will not enforce the law in the city, instead deferring it to the city police, but that doesn't mean the county officer CAN'T enforce the law within the city.

In other words, I don't think there is a jurisdictional issue here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">