• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse of a person who has h1b visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maria Araceli Pena

Hi! My name is Maria Araceli from Mexico, and I have H1B visa. I am married, so that my question is, Can my husband get a working visa since I am working in this country? If so, what kind of visa can he get and how?

R

riki

If you are on H1, then your husband (and kids below 21) can obtain so-called "dependent" visa, H4. It is easy to get - essentialy at the consulate they will need only your visa + proof of marriage; if he is already in US he can file change of status to H4 and it is also easy.
However, he will NOT be able to work on H4, only to study. The only way for him to work would be to find a company (he can do search being in US on H4) that would sponsor him for his independent H1, and then to change status to H1.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">