• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost $850.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsarasien

Hello

I live in the state of Indiana and sent $850.00 to a seller in Flordia for a laptop via PayPal. I have also found out that I am not the only one that has lost money to her. What are my legal rights? Is there a way I can sue her? Any thoughts on what I should do. I have already filed a claim through PayPal but I bet that won't help me.

Thanks, Jim
Fort Wayne, IN

cmorris

Anytime you do ANYTHING on the internet, use a credit card. That allows for a chargeback, in such a case as yours.

You can try and see if your bank will reverse the charges, but don't count on it. They usually won't, but it can't hurt to ask. Also see what Ebay and PayPal can do, if anything.

You could try writing the seller (ebay should have the info) requesting your money back. Send it certified mail, return receipt. Again, I wouldn't expect much.

As for suing...Your only option, should you pursue this, is to sue in her state, probably her county. Considering the amount, it would be small claims. You will not be compensated for travel, lost wages, etc. I doubt $850 is worth it. Consider this an expensive lesson.

seattle71

Paypal

I had a similar problem few yrs back ago won a xbox for $350 sent payment via paypal and buyer never got back to me. Found out he was scamming other people too.

Paypal was able to recover money - minus I think a $25 recovery fee. I think it took almost 6-8 weeks to after there investigation to get money back. Also file a complaint on ebays site.

JETX

jsarasien said:
Is there a way I can sue her?
Yes, you can sue her, but you have to do it in her home state. Also, you should find out if she has any assets to pursue if you were to win.

JETX

jsarasien said:
How do I find out if she has any assets.
And that is the million dollar question. You have to do some (a lot?) of investigating.
See if she owns property in her name.
See if she owns vehicles, boat, plane.
Does she work?? Where?? Pay???
Those are just starters.... you may need to hire a local PI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">