• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbradley7

What is the name of your state? GA
Can someone who receives SSI receive regular social security benefits if they are in the senior citizen bracket?
Or is SSI and the social security benefits that one receives upon retirement one in the same?
I ask because obviously I lack the knowledge in this area. I have a relative who is currently receiving SSI due to dementia/alzheimer's...The person who orchestrated in helping him get this benefit has passed. My relative did work for numerous years, and I did not know if they will be able to collect what is due to them from their past work history along with SSI.
Thanks!

BL

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=160&p_created=955633366&p_sid=sB1OAnuh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzgmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0xMDUmcF9jYXRfbHZsMj0mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Question
I receive Social Security disability benefits. Will my Social Security benefits change when I turn full retirement age?

Answer
When you reach full retirement age, nothing will change, except for Social Security purposes, your benefits will be called retirement benefits instead of disability benefits.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you will get your benefits with no limit on your earnings. These new rules apply for the entire year of 2000, starting in January.

What is Your Full Retirement Age?

Year of Birth
Full RetirementAge

1937 or earlier 65
1938 65 and 2 months
65 and 4 months

65 and 6 months

65 and 8 months

65 and 10 months

1943--1954

66 and 2 months

66 and 4 months

66 and 6 months

66 and 8 months

66 and 10 months

1960 and later

ellencee

SSI, Supplemental Income aka 'welfare', is not the same as retirement benefits from Social Security, and neither is the same as Social Security Disabilty Benefits.

The poster needs to ascertain if the senior citizen is receiving SSI because of medical needs or because of a lack of sufficient earnings to receive retirement wages or because they opted out of SS back when that was considered the thing to do and invested only in retirement income from their employer. (In GA, there are a few remaining senior citizens who have retirement incomes of, get this, $25.00 per month. These poor souls worked for 30 and 40 years at one of the mills and at the time of their enrollment in the retirement plans, $25/month was the benefit amount! Criminal in my opinion, but I digress, again.)

In certain instances, a senior citizen can receive SSI and retirement benefit SS monthly payments. Generally, in GA, if a person falls into this category, the two (SSI and SS retirement benefits) are issued as one payment via SSI. If that is the situation in question, then no additional benefits are available.

All the poster has to do is get the written authorization via a signed SSA form for the poster to represent the senior citizen and go to the local SSA office, wait an un-godly amount of time, and find out what is available for this senior citizen.

EC

jbradley7

Thanks "Ellencee"...Your response seems to be more in line with my post.
As stated in my post "my relative"...not me...also, "someone else" helped "my relative" get SSI due to their condition of "Dementia/Alzheimer's" - which is a health/medical condition.
My relative currently lives in Illinois and was employed in Illinois. I am highly considering relocating my relative to GA.
So, would the wages they've earned in Illinois be affected by GA laws?
However, when that time comes I will contact the local SSA about the benefits.
Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ellencee said:
SSI, Supplemental Income aka 'welfare', is not the same as retirement benefits from Social Security, and neither is the same as Social Security Disabilty Benefits.

The poster needs to ascertain if the senior citizen is receiving SSI because of medical needs or because of a lack of sufficient earnings to receive retirement wages or because they opted out of SS back when that was considered the thing to do and invested only in retirement income from their employer. (In GA, there are a few remaining senior citizens who have retirement incomes of, get this, $25.00 per month. These poor souls worked for 30 and 40 years at one of the mills and at the time of their enrollment in the retirement plans, $25/month was the benefit amount! Criminal in my opinion, but I digress, again.)

In certain instances, a senior citizen can receive SSI and retirement benefit SS monthly payments. Generally, in GA, if a person falls into this category, the two (SSI and SS retirement benefits) are issued as one payment via SSI. If that is the situation in question, then no additional benefits are available.

All the poster has to do is get the written authorization via a signed SSA form for the poster to represent the senior citizen and go to the local SSA office, wait an un-godly amount of time, and find out what is available for this senior citizen.

EC

ellencee

So, would the wages they've earned in Illinois be affected by GA laws?
Not for the amount from retirement wages. The Supplemental Income would be subject to GA's qualifying criteria. I would not anticipate any serious problem or decrease in benefits. There is even the remote possibility that an increase could be gained. For the first six months after the move, the supplemental portion would come from IL's fund. It is a bit too much to explain, but the states have reciprocal agreements/arrangements for managing this type of issue/claim.

Prior to the actual move, it may be advisable to contact GA's SSA, or the local office of SSA in the city to which the person will be relocated, and obtain the necessary forms so that the application can be filed immediately after the move. You can expect this process to take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months!

EC

jbradley7

Thanks so much for your help!
----------------------------------

ellencee said:
Not for the amount from retirement wages. The Supplemental Income would be subject to GA's qualifying criteria. I would not anticipate any serious problem or decrease in benefits. There is even the remote possibility that an increase could be gained. For the first six months after the move, the supplemental portion would come from IL's fund. It is a bit too much to explain, but the states have reciprocal agreements/arrangements for managing this type of issue/claim.

Prior to the actual move, it may be advisable to contact GA's SSA, or the local office of SSA in the city to which the person will be relocated, and obtain the necessary forms so that the application can be filed immediately after the move. You can expect this process to take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months!

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">