• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More about Social Room use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgemoore63

undefinedVirginia You have no idea of the pain my wife went through trying to rent the Social room in our complex. First they said both rooms were off line, then changed it to you cant use that one because of the ceiling is not sound proof. The room has been used for 25 years with no problems. Then when we told them it was A kid party with no music it was well 8 year olds can be loud. Then it was years ago it was voted to use the room only for board meetings. If there is A vote like that or policy change are the bylaws suppose to be updated or can they just say that and get away with it. As I said we have rented another Party room at A price of $475 more then the one on our property would have cost. My wife wants to go to small claims to get the money back but for principle more. Any thoughts would be welcome. By the way the social room is still listed in the bylaws as rentable. And we pay $531 A month in Condo fees.

Please help

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

You don't have a case.
I have given hundreds of parties and never needed to rent a hall more than three times and never for a child's birthday party.
Your condo association is not going to pay you to rent a room somewhere to hold a party for 8 yo children.
Go to a park, pizza parlor lots of options :rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

georgemoore63 said:
undefinedVirginia You have no idea of the pain my wife went through trying to rent the Social room next to our building. First they said both rooms were off line, then changed it to you cant use that one because of the ceiling is not sound proof. The room has been used for 25 years with no problems. Then when we told them it was A kid party with no music it was well 8 year olds can be loud. Then it was years ago it was voted to use the room only for board meetings. If there is A vote like that or policy change are the bylaws suppose to be updated or can they just say that and get away with it. As I said we have rented another Party room at A price of $475 more then the one on our property would have cost. My wife wants to go to small claims to get the money back but for principle more. Any thoughts would be welcome. By the way the social room is still listed in the bylaws as rentable. And we pay $531 A month in Condo fees.

Please help

I can get you a list of very qualified mental health professionals in your area.

dogstooth

You Are Guilty said:
I can get you a list of very qualified mental health professionals in your area.
I think the man has a valid gripe here. He pays plenty of money in fees to have a room available for things just like a kids party. Rmet4nzkx, Having a kids party in a public place can potentially be dangerous for the children.

How are conflicts supposed to be settleds in your bylaws? Arbitration? You need more documentation. Get them to send something to you in writing.

rmet4nzkx

dogstooth said:
I think the man has a valid gripe here. He pays plenty of money in fees to have a room available for things just like a kids party. Rmet4nzkx, Having a kids party in a public place can potentially be dangerous for the children.

How are conflicts supposed to be settleds in your bylaws? Arbitration? You need more documentation. Get them to send something to you in writing.
Pleazzzzzzzzzz
Maybe that is one of the reasons the HOA doesn't want a bunch of 8yo running around in one of their public rooms. I can fully understand why someone might not want a bunch of 8yo running around in their house, but the HOA can decide to whom they will rent a facility.

dogstooth

rmet4nzkx said:
Pleazzzzzzzzzz
Maybe that is one of the reasons the HOA doesn't want a bunch of 8yo running around in one of their public rooms. I can fully understand why someone might not want a bunch of 8yo running around in their house, but the HOA can decide to whom they will rent a facility.

Please enlighten us and tell us what other groups are on your "list" of who you wouldn't rent to?

rmet4nzkx

dogstooth said:
Sure, that is the question. Why don't you answer it?
The question was:
"As I said we have rented another Party room at A price of $475 more then the one on our property would have cost. My wife wants to go to small claims to get the money back but for principle more."
It's a free country, no one forced them to rent an expensive Party room, they have no case. There is no principle to defend!

BelizeBreeze

dogstooth said:

And you would THINK wrong. The HOA is under no legal obligation to rent them the room. Case Closed.

dogstooth

rmet4nzkx said:
Pleazzzzzzzzzz
The man technically owns the party room, its part of condo. Typically the fees are usually only clean up costs.

His complaint is legitimate, and I'm sure it can be settled outside of the courts, but you are completely off the chain with your remarks.

Now explain why you "can fully understand why". And yes, you can be forced to rent to those you don't feel meet you standards.

rmet4nzkx

This is not a civil rights issue.

OP was offered another room, they had two rooms, neither had cooking facilities any longer and so choose to rent elsewhere. Even so, the HOA is not obligated to rent to anyone or at all.

dogstooth

BelizeBreeze said:
WRONG! The party room and any other 'common areas' are owned by the HOA which is in and of itself, a legal entity.
OK...and this "legal entity" is exempt from all civil rights laws?

BelizeBreeze

dogstooth said:
OK...and this "legal entity" is exempt from all civil rights laws?
who said that. But this case has nothing whatsoever to do with "CIVIL RIGHTS". You're stretching and poorly at that.

The fact that no one is allowed to rent this room precludes a claim of discrimination on its face. The fact that another room was made available and the poster chose to rent another room of their choosing precludes any other claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">