• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

will_dav56

What is the name of your state? Washington State.

I'm a Retired Disabled Veteran working for the U.S. Postal Service and recently we've had improvement to out facility. One of those improvement was two additional parking spaces, one marked HANDICAP in as area where business mail is received. We have an employee parking lot on the other side of the building from where I work that has handicap spaces, however it is too far for me to walk to my office. So I have never parked in that lot. I have a valid handicap placard and parked in this new handicap space for three days. On the third day I was asked not to park there because it was reserve for coustomers.

Because the employee handicap parking is too far for me to walk can they restrict me from parking in a marked handicap space closer to the my area and the facility?

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
Then my answer is the same.

Yes and they can tow your car, fine you and fire you.

Next question?
Actually, if they are qualified as disabled, they may request the use of the space normally alloted for customers as an ADA accommodation which would most likely lead to additional spaces being made into handicapped spaces in order to conform to local ordinances, I suggest they contact the disabilities coordinator for the USPS with their request. Now they may not do exctly as OP wishes, but that is the first step.

BelizeBreeze

rmet4nzkx said:
Actually, if they are qualified as disabled, they may request the use of the space normally alloted for customers as an ADA accommodation which would most likely lead to additional spaces being made into handicapped spaces in order to conform to local ordinances, I suggest they contact the disabilities coordinator for the USPS with their request. Now they may not do exctly as OP wishes, but that is the first step.
And nowhere in this OP's post was such a 'request' made and the USPS is well within their rights to deny such a request.

The ADA does not guarantee the poster's CHOICE of accommodation, only that such must be made. And in this case, it is being met.

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
And nowhere in this OP's post was such a 'request' made and the USPS is well within their rights to deny such a request.

The ADA does not guarantee the poster's CHOICE of accommodation, only that such must be made. And in this case, it is being met.
People assume their disability placard will be applied in private and public situations, without any other process, that is why I pointed out the process,
"I suggest they contact the disabilities coordinator for the USPS with their request. Now they may not do exctly as OP wishes, but that is the first step."
We are saying the same thing :D :D :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">