• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immigration for marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrianArmstrong

Hello;
my fiancee wishes to come to the US from Philippines for the purposes of marriage; what is the best way to accomplish this?
She is a also a medical student who wishes to apply to medical school here.
--Brian Armstrong
[email protected]

B

Bobby Brady

Fiancee visa - 6 months to process.

Medical school? Possible but VERY tough. The US medical profession/schools do not welcome foreign born applicants. She will need to prove herself to be top notch academically here first in order to have any reasonable chance of admission.

Better option is for her to finish in the Ph., and then take the medical board exam here and apply for residencies.

Residencies will also discriminate against her, so she will probably have to take a nasty inner city one in an open field (general surgery, psychiatry, family medicine, etc.) rather than a choice residency (opthamology, dermatology, etc.).

F

Fallen Angel

In my case, and from what information I have found out from all the phone calls and leg work my boyfriend and I have done, it seems to be easier for you to go to your fiance's native country and marry them legally there then come back to U.S. (immigration process begins with valid marriage in that country)At any rate it is still a long wait, but in the meantime the significant other can get a tourist visa (or a work visa) to visit for several months while paprework is being processed. I am so frustrated that it is so hard to get someone responsible and hard working into the country legally while so many illegal aliens are here living off of the Government, it makes it harder for the honest ones to immigrate...Best of luck to you and yours! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">