• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

returning items from auctions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndnicks

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas, seller is in MI

I bought a gameboy on the 14th of december, it arrived the 22nd I discovered the display damaged. Seller claimed the screen was mint condition but the pictures I've taken and showed him proved otherwise. He asked for the games serial number but the game system's serial number has been completely scratched off, most likely by him I suppose.

He tells me to send it back so he can look at it though I've sent him perfectly clear pictures. If I send it back, is there any way I can protect my money in case he tries to say he's sent it and nothign returns, or that he wont fix it or replace it?

I paid him via paypal.

dionattan

Did you see pictures of the item before buying it? If so, did it show that the screen was in mint condition? Without pictures of what it was like before you received it, it might be hard to prove he sold you damaged goods on purpose or if it was damaged during shipping.

ndnicks

There was a stock photo. I was thinking of just saying to hell with it and just seeing if it can be repaired and forgetting about it, a lesson learned, since I figured the same thing you did. Forgot to get any proof or a picture and trusted the stock photo and word of the auction seller since his rating was terrific.

Thought I'd press buyer claims on paypal, but it says only if it doesnt arrive at all. They say credit card chargeback is the next solution but I know nothing of that.

Ebay nor Paypal will do anything about your loss. Paypal will only refund if your item is not received.

You can file fraud with Ebay, but don't waste your time. As they told me "It is nothing to be concerned with, and they don't intervene, it is just a record on the buyers account".

You can call your CC company and request a chargeback for the item once it is returned to the seller and you have proof of delivery.

Make sure you are careful that you follow all the CC's rules about chargebacks.

I had 2 customers on Ebay who won, paid via Paypal through Credit Card, and then stated they did not authorize the charges.

The lost their credit cards, paypal account and have pending suits against them.

Hope this helps.

JETX

ndnicks said:
If I send it back, is there any way I can protect my money in case he tries to say he's sent it and nothign returns, or that he wont fix it or replace it?
Yep. Simply send it with proof of delivery.
And you might tell him that you will pay the extra cost of shipping insurance when it is returned to you.

liljenrix

Hi there, I am a seasoned eBayer buyer and seller for 5 years. This is what you can do
1. File a complaint with paypal before the 30 day limitations is up.
tell them the item was misrepresented.
2. If paypal denies the claim which is unlikely, you can file a charge back with your bank/creditcard company.
3. File a NPS (non performing seller) with eBay and they will contact the seller themselves.
I would do the paypal thing first, then the NPS.
did you check the feedback of the seller, how new is the seller and what does their feedback say about them?
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT close the paypal claim, until you are fully satisfied. No matter what the seller promises.
It is the sellers responsibilty to get the item to you in stated condition, even if the seller's TOS (terms of service) states in the auction they do not accept returns or not responsible if insurance is not purchased. Insurance is to protect the seller not the buyer. It is standard eBay rules the seller has the responsibilty to get the item to the seller in said condition no matter what or give the buyer a full refund. This is also stated on eBay. Hope that helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">