• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over while Driving on Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedandcurio

What is the name of your state? CA

I am seeking advice to give to my Friend and any advice that I can tell him or set his mind at ease is greatly appreciated. I thank you guys in advance.

He was pulled over for driving with a suspended lic. He got the suspended lic. due to a DUI conviction last year. He was pulled over for running a red light. He is really sad and afraid that he is going to jail, I want to know if there is anything that I can tell him that will set his mind at ease. He finished all of his DUI paperwork and requirements, he just didn't go to the DMV to get his lic. back. He only drove because of me and I feel very responsible. My question is:
What will happen to him when he go to court?
What will happen to his car, it is already impounded for 30 days? Can somebody else pick it up after 30 days?
I am very worried for him and love him dearly. He is not a bad person, the DUI is a non-fatal DUI and he has been sober since the conviction last year.
please let me know
thank you,
worried and curious

CdwJava

worriedandcurio said:
It depends on his driving and criminal history. Further suspension, jail time, and a fine are all possibilities.

What will happen to his car, it is already impounded for 30 days? Can somebody else pick it up after 30 days?
It depends upon policy, but the registered owner is who they will release the car to WITH a driver with a valid CA driver's license ... after all the impound fees are paid, of course - and that could be about $800 - $900 or more, not counting the agency's release fee.

I am very worried for him and love him dearly. He is not a bad person, the DUI is a non-fatal DUI and he has been sober since the conviction last year.
He was lucky.

He probably needs an attorney, just in case.

- Carl

JETX

worriedandcurio said:
So, let me see if I have this correctly... He was DUI and lost his license. He then decided to drive without it and got caught running a red light (no telling what he didn't get caught at!!). Correct so far??
If so, hopefully, they will throw his ass in jail for 30 days or so. Maybe then he will learn that driving is a PRIVILEGE.... and not a right. And driving without a license is also NOT right..... nor is running traffic lights.

Depends on what the court says.

Awww, he sounds like a real darling... doesn't he?? Just because he is an immature, stupid idiot doesn't make him a bad person.

worriedandcurio

Thank you CDW and JETX, I appreciate your reply in this matter.
As for his criminal history, he only has that one DUI last year. For his Driving record, I can't really say - clean I guess.
JETX, no he there wasn't anything esle that the cop missed, the police was very thorough; we (or rather he) was polite to the officer.
So we're looking to get an attorney to assist us with the case. Here are a few more questions if you guys don't mind:
1- How bad is running a red light in comparision with other traffic tickets
2- We know that a Fine and License suspension is already a given, what is the likelyhood that he will not spend time in jail (if any)

Thank you for you help, oh yeah, we went to turn in his paperwork to re-instate his Driver License today, it will be ready in about 2 weeks. Even though it will definately be suspended again; he wanted to have it. He's not that bad of a person and yes at time he can be irresponsible, But he's very giving and lend a hand to anybody that ask. Also since the DUI; he really has been sober, never drank again. He tried but could never really drink a full bottle or drink- said it tastes sour.

CdwJava

The red light is a point on your license and is a moving violation ... SOME "other tickets" are not.

And it's NOT likely he will do jail time. But, an expensive fine and suspension is very probable ... along with court probation.

- Carl

worriedandcurio

:D Thanks alot Carl (and everybody else) - We really appreciate your replies and answers. We will post the final decision of the Judge after he goes to Trial. Though we still remain skeptical (think of the worse) of what the outcome may be we will accept whatever is given to him and he will be more responsible and safe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">