• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindafaye

The state is Oklahoma. A friend of mine purchased a condo ($75,000) through a real estate company (Okla. City) who represented the owners of the condos. The owners are located out of state. The inspection was done by the realtors' suggested inspector and the property was found with no problems. After moving in and beginning some remodeling, the carpenters found extensive water/termite damage to all the wood inside the walls and when they tried to put up new baseboards, the sheet rock crumbled leaving gaping holes. The buyer of the condo had the realtor over and the carpenter took the realtor through and pointed out all the structural damage. The realtor was non commital-sort of like to the buyer, "it must suck to be you"! The realtors have made no further contact or offered help of any kind. We realize (by law)? if the realtor doesn't KNOW about these kinds of problems they cannot be held liable but what about the inspector? There is a one year warranty on the condo but I'm not sure what all it covers. What should my friends first few steps be? (She wants to stay there but to have the damage taken care of at the owner's expense).

S

seniorjudge

Number one step is to find out what that warranty says.

S

seniorjudge

"**A: the warranty will not cover those conditions."

There ya go, lindafaye. Tell your friend to hire a real estate attorney well-versed in condo law.

(After reading the condo posts on this forum, I wouldn't go near one, much less buy one.)

HomeGuru

lindafaye said:
The state is Oklahoma. A friend of mine purchased a condo ($75,000) through a real estate company (Okla. City) who represented the owners of the condos. The owners are located out of state. The inspection was done by the realtors' suggested inspector and the property was found with no problems. After moving in and beginning some remodeling, the carpenters found extensive water/termite damage to all the wood inside the walls and when they tried to put up new baseboards, the sheet rock crumbled leaving gaping holes. The buyer of the condo had the realtor over and the carpenter took the realtor through and pointed out all the structural damage. The realtor was non commital-sort of like to the buyer, "it must suck to be you"! The realtors have made no further contact or offered help of any kind. We realize (by law)? if the realtor doesn't KNOW about these kinds of problems they cannot be held liable but what about the inspector? There is a one year warranty on the condo but I'm not sure what all it covers. What should my friends first few steps be? (She wants to stay there but to have the damage taken care of at the owner's expense).
**A: was there a seller disclosure statement? Based on your post, the agent and the inspector are not liable if the conditions were not visible. did the Buyer even see the condo? Why did the Buyer not have her own Realtor?
The Buyer needs to file a claim with her and the HOA homeowner's insurance co.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">