• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandmother just wants a little time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbb

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My sister is a first time grandma. Her grandson is one yr old. My sister has helped raise and babysat for many, many children, including my own. I tell you this to show that she exceptionally competent. However, her daughter-in-law refuses to allow grandma any time with her grandson unless the daughter-in-law is holding the baby. Since the baby was born, my sister held her grandson once, in the hospital when he was born and even then the child's mother was very alarmed and stopped it the minute she saw it. On the other hand, the daughter leaves the baby with her parents where the father is a known and previously arrested for marijuana user for several days at a time. Is there any help for my sister?

rmet4nzkx

It is not unusual for a mother to be protective with her child and not allow others to hold or care for them and if they do to allow their own family to do so because they know them better. While you may be comfortable with your sister's competence, she is not and that is her right. You didn't say whether or not the parnets of this child are married, if not, even more reason for caution.

cbb

thank you

I appreciate your prompt response. The couple has been married for 3 yrs. I really anticipated your response but I just wanted to make sure before I stuck my foot in my mouth. Thanks again

rmet4nzkx

When the child is older things will be better less fragility, also, dad may want to help with the transition. But it is the parent's rights.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
cbb said:
I really anticipated your response but I just wanted to make sure before I stuck my foot in my mouth. Thanks again
I gotta ask - why would it be your place to say anything? Why can't your sister talk to her son and/or DIL herself?

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
I gotta ask - why would it be your place to say anything? Why can't your sister talk to her son and/or DIL herself?
I think she meant by that statement was that she was glad to get the answers before she encouraged her sister to make potentially unwise moves.

I could be wrong...that's just how I took it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">