• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Officer Misconduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr. Naive

What is the name of your state?NY

Earlier this year i was involved in an incident in which i was confronted by a motorist who during the incident displayed a handgun... I immediately called 911 and made an on the spot report, and later the same day filed a police report.

I was contacted by NYC Internal affairs police and gave an over the phone interview, as was my wife who was a passenger in the car.

Months later i was notified, upon visiting the precinct to request information, that the entire incident was reviewed by the NYS District Attorney's Office, and that the case was 'dropped' as there was no reason to continue.

I also found out at thisa time that the other motorist was a NYC police officer.

During my visit to said precinct, i spoke to a detective about the incident.

Recently, i received a certified letter from the DMV requiring my appearance at the DMV, to be accompanied by a form MV-619 (Eye Test Report) filled out by a physician, a form MV-80 (Physicians Report), and a licensed driver to drive me home as a result of the possible outcome of this.

The letter starts out as follows:

"We recenty received information expressing concern about your driving ability. According to the person who contacted us, this concern is based on general observation of your driving patterns and/or a possible medical condition, which ay interfere with your safe driving..."

This section of the letter concludes with "We would like to talk to you about this situation"

The letter goes on to state that i will be required to take an eye test ( i just renewed my license within the past month and an eye test was required, which i passed) and likely a driving test, all of which may result in my license being either suspended or revoked as a result of same.

Upon phone communication with the person in the DMV whos signature appears at the bottom of this letter, it was confirmed that the "person" who initiated this complaint was from the very police precinct that i made my complaint at, and was the very officer who seemed very interested in talking to me.

I was told by the DMV official that the officer said he thought "i was obsessed" with something or the other, i don't remember exactly what the phrase was...

I suspect some sort of behind the scenes activity going on here... something which, if brought to light, would show that i have just cause in making a complaint against said officer. My driving record is clean, and it is merely my attempts to follow up on this incident, which turned out to be a complaint against another police officer (information which was puposely kept away from me during all interviews).

I have talked to an assitant at the NY DA office (at this point i have reason to suspect that the original incident may not have been reported to them in its entirety) and am confused and scared about possible police misconduct.

I don't know where to turn next... any advice, opinions, would be appreciated...

--Mike

S

seniorjudge

What did the prosecutor say when you reported all this?

M

Mr. Naive

i never reported this to any prosecutor... only recently i contacted the District Attorney's Office, and explain to an assistant there what was transpiring... and they sent me a complaint form.

I plan to visit the offices on the week following the New Years holidays to handcarry and try and get chance to verbally explain what has been happening... and to get some advice as to how to proceed.

I am not legally savy... i've always depended on the police as the people who would do the right thing... i am learning at this late stage in life that this is not always the case...

... i just hope that my education is not too costly in terms of loosing my driving privilidges.

--Mike

S

seniorjudge

The DA is the prosecutor. If they gave you a form to fill out, then fill out the form and file it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">