• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney Lied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksaturn12

What is the name of your state?MI

I fell behind in child suport and was threatened with jail time. I went to see a lawyer and he promised me that for 1000 dollars I wouldn't spend any time in jail and his fee would be 750 dollars. At that time I had 2100 dollars. So no big deal. 2 weeks latter he called me to inform me that it would cost me 2000 dollars which I couldn't do and him and I both knew that. I told him off pretty much and went exploring other options. My final solution was jail time due to lack of money. I tried talking to my lawyer about getting some if not all of my money back. His response is the 750 was a flat fee and if I want to go hourly at 185 dollars an hour he's invested 6.3 hours with it total bull. I had a previous case similar to this and the lawyer spent less then 2 hours and billed be like 400. What I'm wondering is do I have legal grounds to get money back considering he lied to me about what he was able to do. As far as I've known once he couldn't do what he promised he was in breach and my money should have come back.
TIA

JETX

ksaturn12 said:
What I'm wondering is do I have legal grounds to get money back considering he lied to me about what he was able to do.
In my opinion, no. And I bet that he will have a completely different version of this story.
The only real thing you can do is to contact the state Bar association about possibly filing a grievance against the attorney...
http://www.agcmi.com/

S

seniorjudge

"At that time I had 2100 dollars."

A question: Why did you not give that money to your child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">