• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what should we expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

need2no

My husband and I recently were married and put in an application for permanent residency at INS. We were advised on not to put his SSN on our forms, and to act as if he didn't have one. This was because he doesn't really know how he got the number and he was working without permission. When we applied at SSN, of course, they gave him his old number. What should we expect when we go in for the interview? Should we assume they know everything and come clean or what? How will this affect our application?
What kind on consequences will there be?
Please help.

W

what?

as far as i know any working illegally is forgiven generally if they are married to u.s. citizen spouses. your husband must have had a valid number, maybe it wasn't valid for work? i would question him about where he got it because it is possible to buy fake ss#'s. i have heard that they give the number sometimes that one used illegally, to get back taxes due etc. i would consult an immigration lawyer. because the one here NEVER answers posts. some offer free or low cost consultations. we are in the same situation except my husband has a new ss#. we left the work portion blank. and worry about the same thing. but we are just going to wing it and play dumb if asked. the people i know who did put the ss#'s they had used to work just had to pay any tax owed. and they got their green card with no problem. anyway, i live in phoenix and it takes forever to get an interview. we have been waiting since 11/97. good luck and take care!! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">