• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't take PTO time because someone will be out on maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindacma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?WA

I have a problem at work with getting some vacation time in late March. We were told by our lead via email that we can not take any pto time off while this one girl is off on maternity leave, (keep in mind they will not hire a temp to cover for her for the 3 months she is gone) she normally works 3 days a week. I work 5 days a week which has nothing to do with it. I wanted to take the time off because my family is coming 3,000 miles to see my son get his first communion. So Iwas requesting 1 week off.
Our lead has used up all her pto time and is still taking days off with no questions asked and no problem but because she is a single mom with 2 kids at the age of 24 our office manager feels sorry for her. So what I am asking is can they deny my time off I am requesting and giving 3 months notice for ? Just because someone is off on maternity leave?Isn't it thier responsability to cover for an event like that for 3 months? Could this be a form of discrimination? Please help..

pattytx

They are covering the position. They're covering it by not approving your PTO request. To my knowledge, parental status is not a protected characteristic, therefore, there is no legal discrimination for which you have any legal recourse. More senior employees often get "first crack" at time off requests, so it is not unusual that the lead person you spoke of would have her time off approved (paid or not).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nor is any employer ever required to approve a PTO request. Barring a bona fide contract that specifically says otherwise, just because you want particular time off does NOT mean the employer is legally obligated to give it to you. Denying PTO time is the right of the employer - it is not your right to automatically get the time you want.

I understand your position but no laws have been violated.

purple2

lindacma said:
I wanted to take the time off because my family is coming 3,000 miles to see my son get his first communion. So I was requesting 1 week off.
I'm sorry you're in this situation, but you can't reasonably expect an employer to put any more weight on your request than on anyone else's request. Your employer must have a policy about how to determine who gets time off when all requests cannot be approved--seniority, first come first serve? Surely it's not whose request the manager thinks is attached to the most compelling story.

lindacma said:
Our lead has used up all her pto time and is still taking days off with no questions asked and no problem but because she is a single mom with 2 kids at the age of 24 our office manager feels sorry for her. ..
Hmmm....could the real reason your lead's time off request is being approved is that she doesn't do the same job as you and her time off is being covered by someone else?

lindacma said:
So what I am asking is can they deny my time off I am requesting and giving 3 months notice for just because someone is off on maternity leave?Isn't it thier responsability to cover for an event like that for 3 months? Could this be a form of discrimination? Please help..
Yes, no, and no (unless your employer has a policy or contract with you that requires all time off requests to be approved).

Beth3

Isn't it thier responsability to cover for an event like that for 3 months? Yes, it is, and apparently their plan is not to approve any PTO while this employee is on leave. That's your employer's option.

Could this be a form of discrimination? No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">