• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is incompetent American, can I still get green card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mimi-san

My mother-in-law is manic-depressive. She forge my husband's signature to get SSI. In short, my husband is labeled "paranoia-schizophrenic". My mother-in-law is my husband's guardian. My husband is normal, but his mother is taking SSI money for him every month. All this happened after I married my husband. But I think my mother applied SSI before my husband and I got married. I am not sure though. My husband doesn't want to do anything about it because his mother forge other people's signature before and FBI found it. If he tell social security what his mother did, she is going to jail. My husband told me his mother put SSI money in his banking account every month. All this happed about 2 years ago, and my mother-in-law still taking SSI for my husband. I applied green card last year, it is about 15 month now.

I have a few questions.
1) Is my marriage legal?
2) Is INS going to check my husband's background and find out my husband's "incompetent" problem?
3) Am I still able to get my green card If INS find now my husband is "incompetent"?

ALawyer

If yours is a legal marriage and not done for purposes of getting a card you'd be okay. But his records suggest he is not playing with a full deck and thus the marriage is a sham.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">