• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen/alien marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fallen Angel

I have several legal questions posted on the family law bulletin board but am posting this to see if there is anyone now or previously in similiar situation to the one my boyfriend and I are in. My divorce is final in 2 weeks and my boyfriend and I want to get married as soon as possible after that to begin the immigration process becuz as you all know it is a lengthy frustrating ordeal--I live in Oklahoma and the law here states that I may not get remarried for 6 months, however immigration says I can go to My fiance's country and be married by law legally there, it just won't be valid in Oklahoma (but immigration process can begin...) we plan on living here in Oklahoma for now, moving to Texas in the future.
anyone out there been thru this or anyuone have any suggestions or comments? I need some answers I have tons of questions. Thank you! :)

U

usdeeper

What visa is your boyfriend on ?.. is he already in the US ?.. if he is in the US legally then what is the rush to get married?. If he is not in the US, then if you marry in his country you will have to apply for a I130 visa and that can take a lot longer than 6 months.. sometimes 12 or more. Start the K1 visa process now, that will take 4 months.. then he arrives 2 months later and you get married...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">