• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL or criminal court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lividmom

What is the name of your state? TX/California

The man who commited aggravated sexual assualt on my daughter was recently arrested on a fugative of justice warrant in California (the crime happened in Texas). He was released on $25,000 bond with the condition that he appear in the Califonia court a week later. He was not sent immediately back to Texas because he is fighting extradition. The DA (California) said that when he appeared he would be given 30 days to turn himself in to the Texas authorities. He did not appear for the court date and a bench warrant was issued. They know where he lives (on base). What I am wondering is if he ran and went AWOL will that take precendent over the criminal case against him? I would really him be prosecuted on here in Texas first. If anyone has any input, please let me know.
Thanks!

rmet4nzkx

If he is a service member he might face charges both military and civil, so he might face CM and then TX may also try him if they don't feel the punishment sufficient. Is he in custody on base? Is JAG aware? What state is he in now?

lividmom

He was not in the military when the offense occured so up until now the military had nothing to prosecute him on. NCIS is aware of the original aggravated sexual assualt charge, but I don't know if they are aware of the bench warrant. As far as I know, he is not in custody on the base. He is stationed at Camp Pendelton now.

rmet4nzkx

If the offense occured prior to basic it is very possible that he neglected to tell them as it would have disqualified him and required special permission of the USMC Comandant. I couldn't find a number for JAG but you might give them a call anyway. Camp Pendleton phone numbers

Directory Assistance (760) 725-4111
Marine Locator (760) 725-5171 (available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Closed Saturday, Sunday and holidays)

--STAFF DUTY OFFICERS--
I MEF (760) 725-9114/9307
1st Marine Division (760) 725-5201/9379
1st Force Service Support Group (760) 725-5966
Marine Corps Base (760) 725-5617/5618
Marine Aircraft Group 39 (760) 725-3900

lividmom

He got out of the military right before this occured and then re-enlisted before the victim made her outcry. So the military would not have been aware. I am just afraid that the Marine Corp is going to protect him. He was already allowed to avoid going into the police department for a week after NCIS and his command where notified of the charges. It was one excuse after another as to why he couldn't come in. Then they said he was going to turn himself in. Finally after the law enforcement officer in Texas got permission to go to California and get him NCIS demanded that he turn himself in. Then he went to the police station in his uniform so they had to take him back home to let him get a change of clothes. He was arrested and only spent 36 hours in jail. He is fighting extradition so they let him out on $25,000 bail with the condition that he appear in court again. He has now proven that he has no intention of doing that either. I do not want to do anything to hurt the case in Texas. I am afraid that if I call his command that will be the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">