• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violence Againts Women Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ajvallecillo

I have been seperated from my wife for about a year now (not living w/her at all). She entered the US illegally in May of 1999. I just recently started my divorce papers. Once my wife found out about it she took out and order of protection againts me. Went to court but the court did not hear my case despite all my evidence to prove otherwise. I do have recordings of her constantly calling me and following me. I believe she is abusing this law in order to obtain legal papers in the US. The Family Courts does not really care to find the truth. What can I do to advise the INS department of my wife abusement of the law?

U

usdeeper

This is a very common trick that women are advised to do in these circumstances. You see, if you divorce her so soon, she will eventually be deported as the marriage failed. However, he she can prove that you abused her, there is a provision that would allow her to stay. All you can do is to write to the INS and give them as much proof as you can. They will then be in a better situation to decide when she is interviewed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">