• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dave02169

Hi,

I'm a British citzen currently working in MA on an H1B visa and am thinking of returning home.

My questions are:

(a) After my employment is terminated, how long do I have before I have to leave the
country?

(b) What is my status during this time.

(c) Can I leave the US and then return on an Visa Waiver and still retain my apartment, SSN, car etc. I understand I can't work but can I come and go on a waiver as I tie up the loose ends?

Thanks

David

U

usdeeper

I believe it is 30 days... not sure of the status but it does not really matter as you will need to leave in 30 days.

Can you return on the VWP ??.. tough one, that can sometimes come down to the INS officer at the port of entry. Legally yes.. but it would be much better to tie up all lose end before you quit and then spend the 30 days bumming around and siteseeing ! :)

ps.. when you get home.. send me some chocolate burbon biscuits !! :)

D

dave02169

Thanks. Regarding re-entry on the VWP - How will the INS know my employment has been terminated unless my employer informs them? (I'm pretty sure it won't occur to them to do so as they're useless).

Mmmmmmm....Dairy Milk Chocolate....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usdeeper:
I believe it is 30 days... not sure of the status but it does not really matter as you will need to leave in 30 days.

Can you return on the VWP ??.. tough one, that can sometimes come down to the INS officer at the port of entry. Legally yes.. but it would be much better to tie up all lose end before you quit and then spend the 30 days bumming around and siteseeing ! :)

ps.. when you get home.. send me some chocolate burbon biscuits !! :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U

usdeeper

The problem is.. you will not know if they inform the INS or not until you try to get back into the US.. then you will have to make a decision, try to get back in with your perm res card or fill in a new I94 and try via the VWP.

I am pretty sure that if you are honest at the POE and inform them you are only back to tie up lose ends then you will be ok.. but like most times when dealing with the INS, you really have no clue until it happens.

If you want piece for mind contact the INS via its new help line.. number is somewhere on their website.. or you can try to contact the INS at the POE you expect to enter through.. or the US embassy in London..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">