• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alan202

I am an Englishman planning to marry a wonderful American lady in December. We have been told by the INS that it could take up to 12 months to get all the necessary visas etc We have heard that if we get married in Nevada, I will get a green card within two months and all I have to do then is apply to change my visa status from tourist to married. Can anyone tell me if this is correct as we do not want to wait any longer than we have to.

U

usdeeper

If you enter the US on a VWP with the intent to marry then you are commiting fraud and could be thrown out by the ear and banned for 164 years...

Ok, so that is the worse that can happen. The correct thing to do is to apply for a K1 fiance visa which will take approx 3-5 months. You then arrive in the US and have 90 days to marry. At this point you file I485 to adjust your status.

Read all about it at http://www.k1faq.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">