• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Card Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koko

I'm an American who married a Japanese citizen knowing he needed a green card in order to stay in this country. He claimed he loved me with all his heart and his friends said he was crazy about me, etc. etc. This was almost 14 years ago. I went through with the marriage, and we now have 2 children . I married him knowing in my heart that I did not love him, but I felt pressured to marry him. We have had many ups and downs (mostly downs) and are still together. I still do not love him because he has hurt me so deeply by the things that he says, such as "you stupid idiot, of course I just married you to get my green card:, and "you are nothing but a worthless fat ugly, b****".He has a very volitale temper and I have been afraid of him many times. It would devastate me financially to divorce him, but I feel that this marriage has been a sham from the beginning (even though when he's not mad, he can be very nice and claims to love me, etc). My question is: after all this time and 2 children together, is there any way I could have him deported if, for example, he was charged with domestic violence. I'm afraid of what will happen if I do go through with a divorce. He knows I don't want to be with him, yet at times begs me to stay. He also can be very emotionally and verbally abusive with the kids. I just can't stand to see my kids hurt anymore. Whenever we discuss divorce, he says he will go back to Japan, but I don't think he has any intention of going back. If we divorce and he stays around here, I'm afraid he will continue to hurt the kids by his words. Deportation seems to be my only solution. Then I would not be afraid of him. Can someone please tell me if I could have him deported? Thank You!

U

usdeeper

If he is guilty of a violent crime then yes he could be deported the next time his file is reviewed, regardless of whether you are married.

However, realistically, unless it is a bad crime, the fact you have two children it is unlikely to get him deported.

Best thing to do is take the kids, get a restaining order and file for divorce.

K

koko

Thanks for your input. Do you know how often the INS reviews files on a Permanenet Resident?

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by koko:
Thanks for your input. Do you know how often the INS reviews files on a Permanenet Resident? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally 10 years if he has a 10 year residency card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">