• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bit me in car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seek555

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was going to the park with my friend and he decided to bring his rottweiler. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the truck and he puts the dog in the back seat. He promised me the dog would be fine and not to worry. As we start driving off, the dog jumps on me and attacks me. He bites off a piece of ear and severely punctures my hand. I did not have any health insurance at the time. My friend's mom paid for the plastic surgery ( $2k) because he did not have the money and he lives with his parents as does the dog. I received 3 more bills from the Emergency Room totalling $1600. My friend said he did not have the money to pay so I gave the bills his mother. She yelled at me and said she shouldnt had paid the plastic surgery and is not going to pay these bills because it is my fault I got in the car with him and I was stupid for doing that. I am very confused and hurt by this also because it has over 2 months and they have not put the dog to sleep. They have showed no compassion and blamed me for the accident. I just want them to pay the $1600 left of medical bills so I can resolve this. Should I sue them or is it really my fault ? Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you.

nextwife

Sue him, it's his dog.

I'm a dog owner, and all dog owners have a RESPONIBILITY to properly socialize, train, and KNOW their animals. If the dog was not friendly, and reliable, he had no business having him in contact with you unmuzzled. I have no patience with people who take on dogs, but then fail in their responsibilities regarding them. Sue his ****.

ellencee

Seek555
Have you or the treating facility notified the health department/animal control officer? In NC, a dog that attacks (unprovoked) must be reported, placed in isolation and observed for a minimum of seven days, even if the dog is current with all 'shots', and if the attack resulted in injury such as yours the dog is either euthanized or the owner has to show proof of having a liability insurance policy of not less than $100,000.

It's not too late to call the animal control officer. The report and actions taken will help you collect for the damages.

Before you get into a vehicle or enter the home/property of someone with an animal, bred for generations to be an attack animal, remember this song:
THE SNAKE
Al Wilson

On her way to work one morning
Down the path along side the lake
A tender hearted woman saw a poor half frozen snake
His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
"Poor thing," she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"
"Take me in tender woman
Take me in, for heaven's sake
Take me in, tender woman," sighed the snake

She wrapped him all cozy in a comforter of silk
And laid him by her fireside with some honey and some milk
She hurried home from work that night and soon as she arrived
She found that pretty snake she'd taken to had been revived
"Take me in, tender woman

She clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
"But if I hadn't brought you in by now you might have died"
She stroked his pretty skin again and kissed and held him tight
Instead of saying thanks, the snake gave her a vicious bite
"I saved you," cried the woman
"And you've bitten me, but why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in

EC

Last edited:

Seek555

Who do I sue ?

Ellencee,
Since the dog owner and his dog live at his parents house, should I sue the dog owner or his parents? I have talked to his parents about getting reimbursed for medical bills since he cannot pay and they told me it is my fault this happened and I should have never gotten in the car with him, therefore, they feel they have no responsibility. When I was at the hospital, the nurse reported the dog attack- the police went to their home and did not quarantine or do anything. The police told them it is their choice to keep the dog or put the dog to sleep. They did not quarantine or take the dog. I thought that was NC law. The dog attacked me unprovoked and i just found out he has attacked a dog in the past while staying in a kennel. I am not sure who to sue or if I can even sue someone in this situation. Thank you for all your help.

ellencee

Seek555
You need to report this dog to the animal control officer. You can contact the animal control officer either at your county's "pound" or through your county's health department. The animal control officer is the person who will take action to make sure this dog either does not injure another person or that the owners are highly insured to protect the victim of future dog bites. In NC, the police do not take action against a pet or pet owner; it's the animal control officer that does.

You need to consult with a personal injury attorney. The parents paid a portion of your medical bill and I believe that will be in your favor.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">