• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap parking violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asad

What is the name of your state? -- CA

I am suffering from Athritis and I have a temporary Handicap Placard. I usually do not take down my pacard from the mirror, but as it was raining very heavily today, I took down my Handicap Placard.

My father(67) has come down to visit us from my home country and we had gone to Great Mall, Milpitas, to show him around. As it was raining heavily, I dropped my father at the mall entrance and went searching for parking. It took me about 15-20 minutes to find a parking and got a space in Handicap parking.

As, my father is visitng US for the first time and I had kept him standing alone at the enrance for quite some time, I was very worried about him and got out of the car without displaying the placard.

As a result, I was given a handicap parking violation ticket of $280, which is due to my mistake.

What should I do now? Should I pay the ticket or request for hearing? I have the temporary handicap placard since last three years(I renew every six months), But this is the first time, this has happened.

Can you please guide me in the matter?

CdwJava

Contact the issuing agency (Milpitas PD or the parking authority there) and see abotu scheduling a hearing/appeal of the citation. Bring in the handicapped placard and the paperwork to show that you had it when the cite was issued and they might drop it.

- Carl

Forgot To Display Disabled Placard

Ca. Law CVC Section.

40226. An issuing agency may, in lieu of collecting a fine for a
citation for failure to display a disabled placard, charge an
administrative fee not to exceed twenty-five dollars ($25) to process
cancellation of a citation in any case where the individual who
received the citation can show proof that he or she had been issued a
valid placard at the time the citation was received

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">