• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking tickets in gated community

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainynites

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I live in a private gated community and have one reserved parking space and one garage parking space. My husband who is disabled has been using a disabled parking space that is next to our back door and closer than either the garage or the reserved space on the street. He has been receiving tickets for parking in the disabled space even though his disabled placard is displayed. The ticket states he has a garage windshield sticker and the office says that unless he has a street windshield sticker, he must be in the garage. The Community Rules and Regs state that if a homeowner has a disabled placard they can receive a street windshield sticker, but our office says that it does not apply to us because we already own a street reserved space. Does the community have the right to ignore California laws and dictate that we must use both of our privately owned spaces for parking? :confused:

CdwJava

Who is giving you the ticket? The local community can do what they wish in this regard and are not bound by the same restrictions as the government might be.

Plus, if the association or management is giving you the ticket it is a civil matter between you and them and not an issue with the government.

- Carl

rainynites

It is the local community giving the tickets. I guess I still don't understand the point of designating disabled parking spaces if they can disallow disabled individuals to use them.

CdwJava

rainynites said:
It is the local community giving the tickets. I guess I still don't understand the point of designating disabled parking spaces if they can disallow disabled individuals to use them.
It's entirely a civil matter, then. There is likely something in the community CC&Rs that you signed when you rented there that covers it. If not, then you will probably have to appeal the "ticket" through the board or whatever body hears such things for your community. Because it is an entirely private community, it is likely that the same rules that apply in public places regarding handicapped parking are not going to apply where you are.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">