• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign exchange student / stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Help! My foreign exchange student from Brazil stole an expensive camera from a stranger while we were traveling in Colorado on vacation. The camera was found in our student's luggage by me prior to her catching a flight to Kansas City, Missouri. Although the camera was returned to the family, there is a roll of film missing and the family was deprived of taking any photos for the last few days of their vacation. The family intends to hire a detective and file police charges (they are from Ohio) unless we can locate the film and return it to them. What can I do? The foreign exchange student is now in the home of one of her sister's friends (the sister is not a permanent resident of the US either). I need to know how the law pertains to this situation . . . what are the legal ramifications for our student?

U

usdeeper

If she is prosecuted, they she will likely be deported. Too right.. come over the US and then commits a crime.. stealing someone elses property no less.

L

Lion

Any non-us citizen who commits a crime, can be deported. Well the case is given to INS, and then it is upto their decision wether they feel if the person has committed a serious crime or not.
If your friend stole the camera, then he/she is the only one who will/might be deported. As long as his/her sister is legal in United States, and your friend is only staying with her, then the whole case would have no effect on her what so ever! It is her right according to the law, unless she has committed a crime. What i suggest is that either you talk to the family, and tell them that its matter of someone's future, and he/she has made a mistake OR just let the whole thing go. I personally will only threat, but will NEVER bother to hire a detective and spend lots of money. The family might only be intrested in little monetary out of court settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">