• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandson needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandmother05

My grandson is 4 years old, my daughter has full custody, his father is not in the picture, deadbeat dad. the issue is with my daughter, she is 26 years old and is consistently leaving her son with whomever she can get to take him, for example, prior to Thanksgiving she lft him with her ex-boyfriends brother and his wife until Christmas Eve, during the time he spent with them she only visited with her son a few hours at week to 2 week intervals. She came here for Christmas with her son, she stayed here with him a few days, she has since left, leaving my grandson with me, she was supposed to return yesturday, but did not, she has been gone for 5 days. when I called her home to ask why she did not even call to let us know that her plans had changed she became quite irate, threatened to come and take her son from us. this has been her pattern since her divorce, my daughter does not seem to want to be a full time mom yet uses her son as leverage to do as she pleases. I do not want to fight with my daughter, but, I also can't stand to watch her neglect my grandson. Is there anything I can do to help my grandson? all this bouncing around I am afraid is going to harm him emotionally, he has had no stability in his life.
worried grandma

BelizeBreeze

Sure you have something you can do. You can file for visitation and/or custody, find out you have no legal standing, piss off your daughter and probably never see the child again.

grandmother05

thats what I am afraid of. I am in Indiana. So, I understand that I have no real legal rights, but, doesn't my grandson have any rights? or is he subject to the whims of his mother? I hate to see him go on like this, poor kid doesn't know from day to day where his mother is or if and when she will just show up and who he will be staying with next.
>>
I have tried unsuccessfully to talk to her . I offered to keep him here for her until she gets settled, she is living with a male "friend" supposed to be a temporary roommate until she finds a place of her own. she spends most nights in bars,every week-end, she has a decent day job, and otherwise runs with her friends, mostly male friends. I am not nitpicking here, just trying to show why I am concerned.
my daughter had another child, a little girl, this child died at 14 months old, still an open case under investigation, this little girl was her first child, she passed away just months before my grandson was born.
>>
anyways she doesn't want to give me any form of guardianship to put him in pre-school, something that would benefit him greatly, and if she feels like she is being pressured she picks him up and we don't see or here from her until she needs money.
>>>>>
So, it is ok to do this to a child and the child has no say in the matter? children have no rights?

BethM

So, it is ok to do this to a child and the child has no say in the matter? children have no rights?

It's sad to say but the mother's rights to that child far outweighs that child's right to a stable, loving life. Children are treated like objects in family courts all over this country and until you can prove this mother is doing something that will cause him physical harm you are stuck with the situation...so is the child.

Why not try a little reverse psychology on her. You know you have no control over how she lives her life and no control over whether or not she allows you to see the child. You have learned that saying something to her only makes her mad and puts the child in a worse position because she deprives him of a loving grandmother. The only thing you can do for this child, at this point is to not offer any opinions as to how she lives her life. Your intintions are well but the outcome only worsens the situation for the child.

Ignore her, let her drop him off as often as she wants, for as long as she wants and you will at least know that the child has some stability in his life. Focus on helping the child to feel safe, to not worry about his mother and to know that he has not been abandoned because he has a grandmother who is there even if mother isn't.

Maybe she will grow up one day or maybe she will drop him off one day just long enough for it to be considered abandonement. That is when you can step up and ask for rights as far as he is concerned.

grandmother05

thank-you, that is what we have been doing, I will take your advice too about ignoring her lifestyle.(at least I will give it a valliant try), hard because I do love her as well, and worry that she may get hurt herself or werse. many thanks for your kind advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">