• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Group responsibility for a restaurant bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katyusha

What is the name of your state? VA

OK, here is the situation: a group of approximately 15 people went to a restaurant, didn’t ask for a separate bill.
Some people had to leave early and they gave some cash to those who remained.
Well, as you can probably guess at this point, when the bill arrived, it turned out that those people didn’t leave enough money to cover their food and drinks, so the rest had to pay the difference.

I was just wondering if there is such thing as “group responsibility” for people who were sitting at the same table or is everyone responsible for their bill and it is up to the restaurant to make sure everyone pays?

Thank you

rmet4nzkx

katyusha said:
What is the name of your state? VA

OK, here is the situation: a group of approximately 15 people went to a restaurant, didn’t ask for a separate bill.
Some people had to leave early and they gave some cash to those who remained.
Well, as you can probably guess at this point, when the bill arrived, it turned out that those people didn’t leave enough money to cover their food and drinks, so the rest had to pay the difference.

I was just wondering if there is such thing as “group responsibility” for people who were sitting at the same table or is everyone responsible for their bill and it is up to the restaurant to make sure everyone pays?

Thank you
It is the responsibility of the patrons.
In the future, make sure you ask for separate checks or keep track of what they have and the cost, bevcareful who you invite next time! I hate it when they do that also, it is usually the ones who order extras who want to split everything evenly, lol.

katyusha

rmet4nzkx said:
It is the responsibility of the patrons.
In the future, make sure you ask for separate checks or keep track of what they have and the cost, bevcareful who you invite next time! I hate it when they do that also, it is usually the ones who order extras who want to split everything evenly, lol.
Thanx.

The situation happened to a person I know. He and three of his friends ended up paying extra $50 each to cover the difference.
I was just wondering who is responsible in a situation like this...

rmet4nzkx

Wow! That's a lot of extra drinks, maybe that's why I don't drink :D
BB's advice sounds better all the time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">