• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asylee in US waiting for family petition I-730 to get ok'ed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zanzi

A friend of mine has been granted asylum in the US; he promptly filed to get his wife and children to follow him, but it has been almost a year since he filed and he hasn't heard anything...a)how can he find out what the status is?...b)how can he expedite the paperwork (his family is getting persecuted and are in danger)...please help!!

U

usdeeper

Go the the INS website. There is a number there somewhere that you can call and ask for the status of a petition.

Z

Zanzi

Been there, done that.....phone number terminally busy....need different strategy

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zanzi:
Been there, done that.....phone number terminally busy....need different strategy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you filed at a local office (which I doubt) then go down and stand in line to ask. If you filed at one of the 4 service centers you can write a letter.. but believe me, you will get more success via the phone if you keep trying.

There is one final approach.. but this will cost money... and that is go see an immigration attorney.

Z

Zanzi

Your advise would normally be good, except that in asylum cases you can only go to the LA office with a prior appointment, which you cannot make by phone but only by fax or mail. And a lawyer...well, if it comes to that.... I think what I really need to know is the customary length of time for a follow-to-join- petition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">