• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notice before I leave job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Treker48

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am planning to leave my job in march. How many weeks notice should I give before I leave. Folks have said as many weeks vacation as I get. (I get 1 week) and I have worked for this company 15 years. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

And if you read here you will see that many people who give notice find it is their last day, some have even had the new job fall through, perhaps you might want to take your vacation before March.

Beth3

You don't have to give any notice of your leaving if you don't wish to. No law requires you to do so.

That said, it is considered a professional courtesy to give at least two weeks notice of one's resignation. I don't have a clue where your friends are coming up with the vacation idea - that's just goofy.

Beth3

And if you read here you will see that many people who give notice find it is their last day, And how many individuals who gave the customary notice, had it honored by their employer, and left their jobs on good terms are likely to post here with a question or complaint about that??? In the vast majority of instances, that's exactly what happens - someone gives two or more weeks notice, the employer is appreciative, and the employee leaves on the day he or she had intended several weeks hence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">