• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy IRR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobraus

My wife is in the Military reserve and is currently deployed in Iraq. During one of her permission she got pregnant. This was not planned however, we now have to plan whatever is possible to do. I know that she will be removed from Iraq, however I do not want her to raise my child far away. If I understand correctly, she will be offered the option to be transfered to Inactive ready reserve. I am not in the military and I am not sure what the IRR implies. I have heard that IRR now have to train like everyone else and that they can be stationed away.
What are our options? Can she get out of the army? (Her contract runs until sept. 2006.)
Can she be sent again to Iraq after she gives birth?
Would IRR allow her to stay with me in FL and raise our child, or can she be stationed anywhere in the country.
Thank you for your help.

rmet4nzkx

What branch is she in? How far along? Yes they can deploy her, I'm not sure at what point they will remove her from Iraq, it will depend on when the doctor says she can travel and she can be deployed after the child is born. My daughter-in-law was in the regular army and was deployed when her child was 6 months old, also had to work until onset of labor and was back at 4 weeks after a C section, she was not in Iraq however she was in Bosnia along with her husband.

cobraus

Pregnant soldier released?

Here is what I found online:

<<Military regulations do allow for a pregnant soldier to be released from active duty. Upon medical confirmation of pregnancy, all soldiers will be counseled by their unit commander concerning their options and responsibilities. They will be allowed up to 7 days to choose to remain on active duty or be separated not later than 30 days prior to the expected date of delivery or the latest date the military physician determines the soldier can travel. If a soldier has not completed the initial statutory obligation, she will be transferred to the Inactive Ready Reserve until such time. If she has completed it, she will be discharged. She will receive an honorable discharge unless her record of service indicates otherwise. If she chooses to remain on active duty, she will be expected to fully perform all assigned duties, deploy wherever the Army needs her & make all appropriate arrangements for the care of her dependents.
Chapter 6, AR 635-200, Hardship Discharge which covers any family situation wherein the soldier's discharge would alleviate the hardship (parenthood, death in family, etc). This is solely up to the discretion of the approval authority. However, Chapter 8, AR 635-200, requires that every pregnant soldier shall be counseled in regards to their options & responsibilities AND specifically authorizes the discharge of pregnant soldiers if that is the option chosen by the pregnant soldier. It is not the commander's or the separation authority's discretion. If the pregnant soldier chooses to be released from active duty, it is processed, ALWAYS.>>

Is there anybody who has knowledge of the rules and Military Law that applies in that case? Is that correct?
Will my wife be offered to leave the service?
Thanks

rmet4nzkx

If you answer my previous questions and whether or not she has received pregnancy counseling, has she chosen to separate? We might be able to give better advice. Also there are exceptions to the ALWAYS for pregnant soldiers such those with obligations related to health care scholarships.

cobraus

Extra Information

She is an E5 in the reserve. Her enlistment terminates in late 2006. She will have done her 8 years then.
She has told me she has not been counseled yet but she would rather leave the army if it is possible. She would rather have her pregnancy while living with me and not be deployable while she has a baby.

cobraus

Separate?

She has not received counseling yet. Will she be given an option to separate no matter what? What does separate mean? Is that an honorable discharge?
Can she still be deployed if she chooses to separate? She would rather leave the army since she doesn't want to put herself at risk now that she will have a child. Is there any way for her to get an honorable discharge so that she doesn't jeopardize her life since she is going to have a child? She loves her job for the military, but this was unexpected and we do not want our child to grow up without her.
Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">