• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife's income question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bunjin

What is the name of your state? "California"

Here is my situation.

Injured in 1997. Applied for SSDI denied, but have received SSI since 2001. I have not worked since at all.

My wife has a full time job as an Artist. She works all year creating 400 or so art pieces and sells them in 10 weeks time in the fall around the Christmas holidays. She makes around 15,000 dollars profit. But she takes in about 50 k gross. I have always reported her total sales profit to Social Security. But it has always been at a time when she had little in her account.

She ends the year with about $12,000 in the bank which she uses as seed money to buy Frames and canvas and paint etc. business expenses. We also use some for food etc.

Well this time when they were reviewing my claim happened to be now. With all that money there sent up red flags. Now they want bank statements for last two years etc. The reported earnings were correct. I just didn’t report that it came in such large chunks and in a short time then 8 months with little or no income. Way over the 3000 limit.

To complicate matters I had closed out personal checking account and we have used her business account to pay bills and home expenses for some time now. I now realize this is wrong and have reopened a personal checking account.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed. ?

Last edited:

ellencee

bunjin
Well, I think you're going to be repaying some money and losing your SSI.

SSI will consider the gross profits to have been available for use for household/family needs even if it meant that no artwork could be produced.

More likely than not, SSI is going to determine that you provided them with false information, which equals committing SSI fraud. There are criminal charges that SSI may file against you.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney at once.

EC

bunjin

Answer way off

Not even close. You really had me scared for nothin,thank you. SS waited 2 months while I stewed and worried. Finally went-- It was all fixed in 2 days

They will take out the overpayment in 10 percent increments over the next couple of years. No penalties, not even any funny looks. Thanks for coming in Sir, see you next year. done and done.

Thanks for nothing, "experts"

BL

bunjin said:
Not even close. You really had me scared for nothin,thank you. SS waited 2 months while I stewed and worried. Finally went-- It was all fixed in 2 days

They will take out the overpayment in 10 percent increments over the next couple of years. No penalties, not even any funny looks. Thanks for coming in Sir, see you next year. done and done.

Thanks for nothing, "experts"
First read this :

FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting or the qualifications of any person responding. Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com.

No " experts " here inferred . Thanks ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">