• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first speeding ticket -- 42 in a 30

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solarweasel

What is the name of your state? colorado

i am only 16 and have received my first speeding ticket. i was doing 42 in a 30 mph zone. i am generally a safe driver but was simply following the car in front of me and not watching my speedometer at the time.

i can either pay $130 and have 4 pts deducted or appear in court. being as i have absolutely ZERO experience with this situation, what should i do? as a minor, my license only has 6 pts on it total, is there anything i can do to get the subtracted points reduced? i am more worried about the points than the fine. and how does a plea bargain work?

thank you for helping me

S

seniorjudge

Ask the prosecutor for a diversion program or change the charge to an equipment violation.

You will probably pay more than you would have with a straight plea, but it will be worth it: no points, better car insurance rates, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">