• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MaryTime

My 54 year old friend married a 25 year old man from Morocco in order for him to get his green card. They lived together as roommates before the marriage and so they are still living together, but nothing else. He speaks very little English and it is so obvious that they are not true "lovers". (She is a very overweight 54 year old and he is a slim man who looks like a kid of 18). I keep telling my friend that she could get in big trouble if/when INS finds out, but she doesn't seem too worried. She says as long he didn't give her money for the marriage, then there are no problems. What is the truth?

U

usdeeper

The INS are not stupid and if they see no real evidence of a marriage then they will not adjust his status and he could be deported.. and she can be in trouble for visa fraud. The description you gave would have even a junior INS officer checking more into this case..

So yes, SHE will also be in trouble.

M

MaryTime

Also-She claims that it can sometimes take over 2 years to get an interview with the INS and if it does take that long then they don't even bother checking into any of the details of the marriage as long as the couple is still together. She isn't worried because she thinks INS is so backlogged that it will take at least that long. (This is in Colorado.) Do you know anything about this? Thanks!

U

usdeeper

I am afriad she is mistaken.. Time does not mean anything. At the Adjustment of Status interview they will be asked questions and to provide proof of the continuing relationship. Things like apt leases in both names, joint bank account and credit cards for example. Pictures help and also they may want to see the wedding pics. One final point, although they will be together, the officer will ask questions to one or the other and instruct the other not to say anything. If they suspect anything, they will split them up and interview them seperately.

Basically, they will be asked to bring a number of items and the final point will be, proof of a continuing relationship.. if they have nothing, then he will not issue the I551 stamp and she may be charged with fraud.

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited August 08, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">