• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding and radar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jam777

What is the name of your state? Utah
Do I have the right to see the radar if pulled over for speeding?
If so , where can I find the law stating this.

HarmonyRoad

jam777 said:
What is the name of your state? Utah
Do I have the right to see the radar if pulled over for speeding?
If so , where can I find the law stating this.

No, you don't have the right to see it. The officer can show you at his discretion based upon how safe it is. 3 times I have requested to see the radar readout and despite lack of any or very little traffic in a safe area, the officer has denied to show it to me. Two of these officers were hiding something.

CdwJava

HarmonyRoad said:
No, you don't have the right to see it. The officer can show you at his discretion based upon how safe it is. 3 times I have requested to see the radar readout and despite lack of any or very little traffic in a safe area, the officer has denied to show it to me. Two of these officers were hiding something.
Maybe ... or, they did not want to set a precedent that would come back to bite them. If they show it to you, the next guy that pulls them over can argue, "You showed it to HarmonyRoad, so if you didn't show it to me, it must mean you are making it up."

It's usually discretionary, but I caution my officers against it for safety and past practice reasons.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">