• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time Ever Being Pulled Over in PA!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurhess

What is the name of your state? I live in NY York but I was pulled over in PA the other night. The officer pulled me over when I was going down a hill and told me that I was going 75 in a 55. He took all my information then went to his car and came back and said he had to leave and didn't have time to issue me a ticket that he would send me my citation in the mail and told me to drive safe for the rest of the night that there were other cops out there and I didn't want to get pulled over twice in one night. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this and what I am facing when I get my ticket in the mail. I know that I wasn't going 75 I am just wondering if it is worth it to fight the ticket or if I should just pay the fine. Also they won't take away my liscense will they I am so scared about that! Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated I am flipping out! :( Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JETX

laurhess said:
I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this and what I am facing when I get my ticket in the mail.
Thoughts: You were speeding.
Facing: Court or plea.

I know that I wasn't going 75 I am just wondering if it is worth it to fight the ticket or if I should just pay the fine.
That is PURELY your choice....

Also they won't take away my liscense will they I am so scared about that!
From your own post, why are you scared of something you say they won't do??

laurhess

I was asking if there was any chance they could take away my license. That is what I was asking, I wasn't stating that they won't I don't know how the laws work in PA seeing that I am from NY so that is why I was asking if there was a chance they could take away my license, and what type of fines and such I would be facing. Thats all, thanks for the advice!:)

Bravo8

75 mph in a 55 mph zone will be $155.50 if it was after the New Year, or $155.00 if still in 2004 (the reason being the costs were raised by $0.50).

There is no license suspension accompanying this in Pa.

laurhess

Thanks Bravo8, I was just wondering if it was odd that the officer didn't give me a ticket when he pulled me over or is that normal, because I have never heard of that happening before. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but this is all new to me! Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!:)

qcxlvr1

Do you have a New York State license? If so, I really would just pay the thing and move on. New York State does not record any out of state convictions unless they occur in Canada or involve DWI. Therefore, you do not receive points for this or even have anything entered on your record for that matter.

Bravo8

Under certain circumstances, it's not unual for the officer to simply file the citation with the Judge and have it sent out via certified mail.

laurhess

Thanks again for the info. I just thought it was weird that he didn't give me the ticket on the spot I had never heard of that before. Under what type of circumstances would they not give you your ticket in person?

JETX

laurhess said:
Thanks again for the info. I just thought it was weird that he didn't give me the ticket on the spot I had never heard of that before.
Not particularly uncommon. Presumably, the officer, while writing your citation, got an urgent call to another location.

Under what type of circumstances would they not give you your ticket in person?
Some examples of 'hot calls' that would create such a situation of 'interrupting your traffic stop' could be:
- Call for 'burglary in progress'.
- Officer needs assistance.
- or 'Donuts are hot at Krispie Kreme'. :d

There really is no way to guess what call the officer might have gotten.... but it was serious enough to warrant calling the officer to the scene as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">