• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lorralei

What is the name of your state? NJ

The *policy* only specifies if you resign, the *contract* that is submitted with the actual amounts states termination OR resignation. Both documents have the same revised date. Hypothetically speaking, would one supercede the other in no uncertain terms or if I wanted to challenge it, would there be a chance that I would win?

Another example that I know the outcome... Policy states if under disciplinary action in the last 6 months an employee is ineligible for tuition reimbursement, yet, nowhere in the contract does it state that. The contract does state the rest of the criteria though, the grades, the exempt vs non-exempt statuses and soo on. The employee was definitely NOT ELIGIBLE for tuition reimbursement. In my opinion, the policy would have superceded the contract at that point.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks...KK

Beth3

The *policy* only specifies if you resign, the *contract* that is submitted with the actual amounts states termination OR resignation. Huh? :confused: That doesn't make any sense.

You keep referring to a contract but tuition assistance is almost always a matter of company policy and therefore is changeable or revokeable at any time. What contract are you referring to?

Lorralei

The contract is actually the document that is completed with the course(s) that you will be taking, the about for reimbursement, school you are attending and so on. It also has a statement about understanding the tuition assistance policy and agree to comply with it and specifically states about termination or resignation and continues on with the remainder of the stipulations of the policy. The submitter is then required to sign and date it, turn it in to their manager for approval, if approved, the manager then submits it to HR for the final processing and to have the funds released.

As there is the inconsistency between the actual policy and the verbage in the contract you can see where my confusion arises.

Thanks... KK

Beth3

I seriously doubt that's a contract. I've created forms just like that and it's simply an administrative form - a tuition reimbursement request form. The employer and employee need some sort of administrative process to start the tuition ball rolling when someone makes a request and to manage the process.

If there is a conflict in the language of the policy and the language in the tuition request form, then you need to contact HR for clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">