• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cop said if you show up in court to fight this, I will charge you on this other thing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ArlyDude

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

I was pulled over in PA about 2 weeks ago for Careless Driving. The cop said i was spinning my tires at the night when I took off. However, it was the car next to me who was doing it. A truck actually. I just was going faster then the truck because he was spinning his tires and I guess the cop thought it was me. When he pulled me over I told him my license expired and it was in process of getting renewed. He wrote me up for careless driving which carries 3 points and said that he would let me go on the "Driving Without License". He also told me that if I try to fight the ticket in court, he will write me up for both. I told him It wasn't me who was spinning the tires, it was the guy next to me. (This was at night by the way). He got snippy and said should I just write you up for both of them now? Then when he was wraping it up, he was like, I don't even have to let you drive your car out of here because you don't have a license. I went to start my car and he was like....You better not start that while I'm here. And he left. And I left. 2 Days later I got my license paper in the mail.

Now, almost 2 weeks after getting pulled over and I pleaded not guilty to careless driving I got my other ticket in the mail. It it for "Operating Vehicle Without Valid License".

It seems like blackmail to me that he was trying to deny me my right to represent myself in court for a crime that I didn't even commit. Can anyone give me advice in this matter and if what he is doing is legal? Thank you.

S

seniorjudge

Is this correct?

You were driving without a license and you got a ticket for driving without a license.

You were charged with spinning your tires but you say it was not you.

Go for it. Plead not guilty to both and have a jury trial.

But let me ask you, after the cop gets on the stand and says you didn't have a license, what will your rebuttal evidence be?

After the cop gets on the stand and says you spun your tires, whatever, what will your rebuttal evidence be?

Make sure you can answer those questions before you go to court.

Bravo8

How many forums do you plan on posting this thread in?

I answered this question in the other thread you have running.

S

seniorjudge

Bravo8 said:
How many forums do you plan on posting this thread in?

I answered this question in the other thread you have running.

He's looking for the magic incantation lawyers repeat in the back room....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">