• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent relinquished custody; now denied visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandma58

What is the name of your state? We have been FL residents for almost 5 years but had lived in Maryland for over 30 years. We had guardianship and then were granted custody (Md.) Our grandson lived with us for almost 11 years. When mother gained custody, the MD courts also granted us reasonable visitation (August 2003.) The mother lives in SC, has recently remarried. At first, there was plenty of phone contact. Distance prevented frequent personal visits. Since October 2004, there has been absolutely no contact. Phone has been disconnected; house was sold. I haven't been able to find any information. We are retired and financial responsibilities are heavy so our ability to hire an investigator, lawyer, etc., are limited. I would appreciated any help. Thank you so much.

rmet4nzkx

Report the child missing, contact the court in MD they may have an updated address, depending on the wording of the order you may be able to file contempt charges, SC has some loopholes that makes disappearing a child easy as they won't honor another states orders. If they sold the house have you checked online records of the recorders office? Have you checked online sources? Have you contacted neighbors where they lived? Have you tried to send mail?

LdiJ

grandma58 said:
What is the name of your state? We have been FL residents for almost 5 years but had lived in Maryland for over 30 years. We had guardianship and then were granted custody (Md.) Our grandson lived with us for almost 11 years. When mother gained custody, the MD courts also granted us reasonable visitation (August 2003.) The mother lives in SC, has recently remarried. At first, there was plenty of phone contact. Distance prevented frequent personal visits. Since October 2004, there has been absolutely no contact. Phone has been disconnected; house was sold. I haven't been able to find any information. We are retired and financial responsibilities are heavy so our ability to hire an investigator, lawyer, etc., are limited. I would appreciated any help. Thank you so much.
There may not be much that you can do if you don't have strong financial resources. Grandparent vs parent cases are very different than parent vs parent cases. If the language of the order says nothing more than "reasonable visitation" its going to be tough to enforce.

What you would need to do is to locate the mother and child, and then file to domesticate the case in whatever state they are living in at the time that you locate them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">