• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First speeding Ticket NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecismeto7

I was pulled over in NY on 17

I was in a hurry to get home because i was past my cerfuw my mom set for me so i was stupid and got pulled over... The cop says i was clocked at 96 in a 55 zone. I know i was speeding but the fastest i was going is about 80 maybe 85... i have no way of proving this though. Also the cop was a Broome County Sharrif, He was in an SUV pulled over on the side of the highway with no parking lights or any type of light on... it appeared to be a broken down car untill he turned his lights on i passed him then he pulled me over. The ticket says he got me with his rear radar and it was comming down a small hill. I was told to call the DA so i did they said they will drop it down to 80 so i can keep my licence. There is no court date yet because i am going to plead not guilty so i am waiting on a waiver from the DA to set up the court date but i dont know what to do this is my first run in with cops or anything... Please Help

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Okay, after you plead not guilty and you are having a trial and the cop gets on the stand as says you were doing 96/55 and the prosecutor rests, what will your rebuttal evidence be?

qcxlvr1

ecismeto7 said:
I was pulled over in NY on 17

I was in a hurry to get home because i was past my cerfuw my mom set for me so i was stupid and got pulled over... The cop says i was clocked at 96 in a 55 zone. I know i was speeding but the fastest i was going is about 80 maybe 85... i have no way of proving this though. Also the cop was a Broome County Sharrif, He was in an SUV pulled over on the side of the highway with no parking lights or any type of light on... it appeared to be a broken down car untill he turned his lights on i passed him then he pulled me over. The ticket says he got me with his rear radar and it was comming down a small hill. I was told to call the DA so i did they said they will drop it down to 80 so i can keep my licence. There is no court date yet because i am going to plead not guilty so i am waiting on a waiver from the DA to set up the court date but i dont know what to do this is my first run in with cops or anything... Please Help
I'd recommend you speak with an attorney. If he or she knows what they are doing and is familiar with the court system up there, you might be able to get this reduced to a VTL 1110(a), fail to observe traffic control device.

ecismeto7

i have no idea seniorjudge... and thanks qcxlvr1 i guess i will talk to a lawyer or something and see what they cant do because i have no idea what to do

S

seniorjudge

"i have no idea seniorjudge... and thanks qcxlvr1 i guess i will talk to a lawyer or something and see what they cant do because i have no idea what to do"

Seeing a lawyer is an excellent idea.

That lawyer will ask you the same question I did.

ecismeto7

i guess i would just say i didnt realise i was going quite that fast because it was on the highway and there were no cars out but i knew i was speeding i thought maybe i was going about 80 but surely not 96

S

seniorjudge

"i guess i would just say i didnt realise i was going quite that fast because it was on the highway and there were no cars out but i knew i was speeding i thought maybe i was going about 80 but surely not 96"

The judge heard this one a couple of times this morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">